Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Being Grateful – Day 2

Yesterday I was supposed to post my first three things I was grateful for and I got so tired after finishing my proposal for class that I shut down my computer and refused to even check if I had class today.  It just wasn’t worth knowing, I was too tired to go.  However, determined to think of three things I was grateful for I spent a bit of time thinking about it before bed and just wrote it on a piece of paper.

Here they are… I am grateful for knitting because it keeps me calm and sane and busy.  I get to make beautiful things for people I love and in a zombie apocalypse I will have the ability to loot yarn stores and create clothing for myself and loved ones.

Next I am grateful for two people and they each count as one thing I am grateful for.  My dear roommate here at school who listens to me bitch about my program and laughs with me (and sometimes at me, I can do stupid with the best of them).  Also my res program friend, who chills with me, shops with me, and also bitches with me about the program.  Those were my three for Tuesday.

Today is Wednesday and to be perfectly honest I am struggling for the my three gratefuls.  I guess the first one is easy.  Every other Wednesday is Knit Night at a coffee house in downtown St Catharines and I am grateful to have a group of people who love to craft, accept my youth and are open and accepting.  Five months ago I had never been near downtown St Catharines and I was terrified to venture into a strange shop, to meet a group of strangers.  They were so open, accepting and supportive!  They shared the excitement of finally getting my spinning wheel and finishing projects.  They enjoy nerdy things and I learn as much from them about their jobs as I do at school about the one I want.

I guess my other grateful is going to be puppies!  We had therapy dogs visit residence tonight.  It ended up solidifying my determination that I will one day have a dog of my very own.  Particularly a dachshund, they are adorable.

Lastly I am grateful for cooking blogs.  Yes that’s right I am grateful that other people cook like crazy and blog about it.  Why?  It’s very simple really, if someone took the time to create a beautiful step by step blog post for me to follow it is likely that the food will be very tasty.  Also things I never thought I would be able to make like these delicious looking pretzel dogs (hello treat for a valentine!).

They seem like trivial things to be grateful for, but I guess if we don’t take joy in everything small and large we will be very depressed.  So I will continue to smile stupidly at wonderful signs and take joy in puppies and knitting.  The people are big though, I think any person that takes the time to be a friend is a big deal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment