Sunday, January 24, 2010

It sure was a hoot!

Friday I got to attend what was possibly one of the coolest Christmas gifts my parents have ever given me. It was an Owl program at the Arboretum at the University of Guelph. I've heard about it for years, I met the program co-ordinator, Chris Earley, in the summer time and I was determined that this year I would attend. So when my parents came asking for hints, I told them I wanted this and to tell me immediately if I they weren't interested in getting it for so I could register myself. Then I forgot about it. So while it wasn't a complete surprise it was a joy to unwrap on Christmas morning.

Friday was the actual event. I woke up early to make sure I had everything I could possibly need (thermal socks, long underwear, notebook, pens, bird book, lunch) and packed myself into my parents van and drove on into Guelph. I learned about what makes an owl, the size of their eyes, the accuteness of their hearing, and more. I met Einstein the Great Horned Owl from W.E.E.P. and finally mastered creating a bird call with my hands. I can do a great horned owl and a screech owl so far and hopefully I'll get better with practice and one day be able to call out to mourning doves and loons. We learned about the calls for the owls and I have information about what they'll eat, roosting, nesting and ranges.

For all that in todays world many people find owls truly amazing creatures with their glowing eyes and intelligent faces, it wasn't always the case. In ancient europe people used to believe that if you heard an owl call it meant you were going to die... UNLESS you were able to find the owl and kill it. As a result many owls were killed for doing what they do best, giving a hoot.

Anyways Friday's program was great and hopefully I'll have a chance to get out and take part in more programs at the Arboretum. If you ever get a chance to take one of their courses make your way there, I think you'll walk away impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment